Sunday, June 17, 2012

Perks of Being a Wallflower Film Adaption

I'm certain a few of you have heard of the Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I won't spoil it, but Perks is a novel written in the style of letters, which I personally thought was interesting. A few themes of the book is alienation and acceptance, as well as being depressed, alone, and awkward. I liked the book because it tackled very heavy subjects, which I won't spoil.

Now, fortunately for those who read and enjoyed the book, a film adaption starring Logan Lerman will be coming out this September. Don't judge me, but I've never heard of Logan Lerman nor his co-star Ezra Miller, who are playing the main characters Charlie and Patrick, respectively. I have not a clue if they're suited for the role or not. However, judging from the trailer, I believe they will play their characters swimmingly well.

Perks of  Being a Wallflower official trailer.
Source: Youtube

But while I'm addressing my positive expectations, I do have some concerns. Such as choosing Emma Watson for the role of Sam. Don't get me wrong, I do love Emma Watson, she's an excellent actress, but this isn't exactly the type of role I picture her being in. Sam is more of a down-to-Earth person, who is going through the hardships of being an American teenager, while Emma Watson herself is more of posh, cultured person. But Emma's portrayal of Sam has yet to be seen, and I look forward to her performance.

Another thing, I didn't expect Patrick to be such a happy-go-lucky character in this adaptation, I figured he'd be a tad more melancholic. Also, I hope the film isn't as kitsch and comedic as the trailer, considering the book had a dark subject matter.

But other than that, I hold high expectations for this film. Considering the author, Chbosky, is directing the film and writing the script, I predict that it will hold very true to the events in the book, and I also predict that it will be a very enjoyable film, regardless if you have read the book or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment